Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Four Life Changing Days (Part 2)





Before I get in to the second two days of Cervivor School West, I want to mention someone who I somehow forgot to mention in my first post (so embarrassing!). We had the fortunate opportunity to have Dr. Ramani Durvasula, a licensed clinical psychologist in private practice in Santa Monica, CA and a Professor of Psychology at California State University, Los Angeles. Dr. Durvasula was 100% real, honest, and open. She talked to us about anything and everything, and I am now officially obsessed with her!

So day two of Cervivor School West! This day focused a lot on medical facts. We started off with Less Stress and More Life with cervical cancer survivor (20 years, WOOT!), author and wellness expert Mary Marcdante. She went through some body exercises to help improve our overall sense of well-being, and before we knew it, we were having a dance party to Shake It Off by Taylor Swift! I had definite white girl syndrome, which Chellese was unfortunate enough to witness. But the all time superstar was Lily - I've said it before, and I'll say it again, girl, you KILLED it!

Next, we focused on HPV, cervical cancer, health disparities and public health, let by Jesse Nodora, DrPH, and Ana Lilia Maldonavo, both of Project Vela (Spanish for sail). One of the best takeaways from this was how part of their program worked as patient advocates for women in particular for whom English is not their first language. A case manager such as Ana literally walks the patients through the entire process, helping them to understand their diagnosis and treatment in their own language, so they really understand.

Our next speaker was Rebecca Perkins, MD, MSc Boston University School of Medicine. She covered screenings and vaccinations, as well as misinformation and how we can combat it. There is a TON of misinformation out there regarding the Gardisil vaccine, so I was greatly appreciative to have so many facts to combat that misinformation!

At this point, we veered off schedule, and watched a film called Someone You Love: The HPV Epidemic. I had heard about this movie, and how wonderful it was, but I was not prepared to actually watch it. Don't get me wrong, it is real and raw, and completely authentic. The movie covers five women with cervical cancer and their journeys through the disease. I'm not going to provide any spoilers, but I highly recommend that you watch it. It is very emotionally overwhelming. As a cervical cancer survivor, as well as having many friends at different stages in the disease, I found a way to relate to each story. And I cried, hysterical flat out ugly crying. God bless Chellese - she scooted in close and held me until I could pull it together.

Fortunately, we moved on to a lighter topic - how to "Keep Things Sizzling" in your relationship beyond cancer. That's right, we talked about sex! Physical intimacy is very difficult for women who have gone through treatment for cervical cancer. There is fear. There is pain. For some women, radiation damage takes sex completely off the table for them. But there are things that can help. I won't get down and dirty, because I have family members who read this, but if you have specific questions, get in touch with me!

And then to close out the day, we were treated to an absolutely beautiful, sexy routine by burlesque dancer Hot Tin Ruth! This woman is my hero!!!! She even gave us lessons on some burlesque moves, and we wound up having yet another dance party!

Sunday morning was graduation day. Tamika handed out diplomas to all the newbies, along with incredibly kind words to each of us. I felt so proud - I am now a Cervivor Ambassador!

I have so many opportunities through Cervivior to advocate for cervical cancer awareness, screening, and vaccinations. I am incredibly blessed.

The biggest takeaway from this weekend is a sense of sisterhood. I truly fell in love with every single woman there. I am so appreciative of how they boldly shared their stories, how they laughed and cried, how we were all there for each and every one of the other women in the room.

No comments:

Post a Comment