Tuesday, June 16, 2015

My First Cancerversary!!!!!!


Today is my first cancerversary! On June 16, 2014, I checked into Sibley Memorial Hospital for a radical hysterectomy to rid my body of cervical cancer. The surgery was a success, and I was officially declared NED (no evidence of disease). My recovery was hard: I was in a lot of pain; I developed a hematoma and some blocked lymph nodes, surgical artifacts. One of the hardest things I had to come to terms with was the loss of my fertility. I had no intention of having any more children, but it’s different when it’s a choice you make versus one that is made for you.
I didn’t get through this alone. My oncologist, Dr. Jeffrey Lin, without a doubt saved my life. My mom, Karen, and my fiancĂ©, Jeff, were essential, especially in those first few weeks. My friends & teal sisters were unbelievable. Tealies, thank you for being there at all hours of the day and night to answer all my TMI questions and provide excellent advice, to commiserate, or even just a simple response to let me know that I was not alone. Miriam, thank you for always checking up on me and making me laugh my ass off. Ashley, thank you for teaching me how to be a warrior. I especially need to thank Amanda, Jennifer, Kim and Melissa. Without those four amazing ladies, I never would have made it this far. I am so grateful that we are bonded for life.
I think it goes without saying that I would never ever wished to be diagnosed with cancer. I was terrified for a very long time, and still get nervous even now. But having cancer has taught me a great deal, some good and some bad. I learned how strong my spirit is. I learned how amazing my body is. I learned who my true friends were by who showed up when I needed them, and who didn’t. Most importantly, I learned how much I love myself and how very much my life means to me.
While my fight is (hopefully) over, there are so many of my friends still struggling with this horrible disease, and many more women will face gynecological cancers in their lifetimes. I cannot stress enough how important it is to keep up with your Pap smears, as well as getting tested for HPV. Early detection saved my life, and for that I am forever thankful beyond words.

No comments:

Post a Comment