Tuesday, August 4, 2015

what's the deal with #TealTuesday?

We are all familiar with the color pink signifying breast cancer. In October, breast cancer awareness month, even the NFL shows their support by incorporating pink into their uniforms, from socks to gloves to the footballs themselves. And I think that is amazing. I also think it is unfair, because not all cancer is pink.

Please don't get me wrong, I fully support breast cancer. My mom is a breast cancer survivor, who was diagnosed two months before I received my cervical cancer diagnosis. But it's frustrating to see such widespread support for breast cancer, and virtually nothing for gynecological cancers.

So on Tuesdays, we wear teal.

What has come to be called #TealTuesday by many actually began as a challenge issued by a woman named Sunny in December of 2012. Sunny started a movement called Take Back Teal because of her mother, who lost her battle to ovarian cancer. She concurrently created a pledge called Turn It Teal Tuesday: every Tuesday for one year, those who pledged to do so would incorporate something teal in their outfit for that day. Teal is the color for ovarian cancer, so wearing something teal is a great way to start a dialog about ovarian cancer.

Teal and white are the colors for cervical cancer, so I wear something teal (almost) every Tuesday. And when I receive a compliment about whatever item it is, my response is "Thanks! I'm a cervical cancer survivor, and teal and white are my cancer's colors. I wear teal as often as possible to support other women fighting this disease, and to honor those who have lost the battle against it." I post pictures on Facebook and Instagram with #TealTuesday. It gets people asking questions, and every time I can help educate women about gynecological cancers, I am potentially saving someone's life.

#TealTuesday
You don't have to have ovarian or cervical cancer to participate in #TealTuesday. You can do it because  you know someone with GYN cancer. You can do it to help educate other women. You can do it because teal is an awesome color.

No comments:

Post a Comment