Monday, February 22, 2016

The Caregiver Role


Cancer is a very taxing disease, and the treatment is even more so. Surgery leaves you in pain, and unable to do the things you normally do. Radiation leaves you exhausted. Chemotherapy makes you tired and nauseous. Even something as seemingly easy as going to a doctor’s appointment is difficult to do on your own.
This is where caregivers come in. You might have one, you might have several. But they are all critically important to your illness and treatment.
Cancer patients need at least one caregiver, especially those who are in advanced states of the disease. A caregiver is someone, usually a friend, husband, or boyfriend, who takes care of us when we are too sick to manage on our own. This can include taking the patient to treatment and doctors appointments, all the way up to helping the patient do things like change their colostomy bag. it is hard work all the way around.
I was lucky. I had both my husband and my mother to take care of me. My mom went to my early appointments to write down what Dr. L said, and ask questions (I was still in too much shock to ask important, intelligent questions, let alone remember the answers).
My ex-husband stepped up to the plate when I had surgery by keeping my son over nigh after my hospitalization. He also helped me talk to our son about my cancer, and what it meant. Together we were able to reassure our son that I was in good hands, and that my doctors we sure I would be ok.
When I had surgery, my husband, my mom and my son where there in the waiting room. My mom wound up walking my son around to distract him because he was very worried. But everything went fine, and he was relieved.
I spent one night in the hospital, and my mom stayed with me. I was in a lot of pain, so she spent a good deal of time in my room with me, or helping me walk the halls, even though there was a sleeping area for family members. And after my surgery, she stayed with us at home for a week to help out.
My husband was a huge help during my recovery. He took care of our kids, brought me food, took care of our dogs, and just generally made sure that I was as ok and comfortable as possible. He brought me my pain medication, and made me tons of grilled cheese sandwiches, because I didn’t have much of an appetite.
For another take on being a caregiver, check out this post on cervivor.com from my friend Erica’s husband!
http://cervivor.org/honoring-cervical-cancer-caregivers/

xoxo Jennie

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, darling daughter, for explaining the importance of having friends and family care for you if you have cancer! Speaking from personal experience, it's important to the caregivers as well. Because I love you, I wanted to do whatever I could be make things better for you. What I really wanted to do was wave a magic wand and make the cancer disappear, poof! But of course, I don't have a magic wand so doing whatever I could to help you get through your treatment was the next best thing.

    ReplyDelete