Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Coming Up for Air

It's been radio silence for a while, and I apologize. A lot has happened over the past two months, and it has not been easy. I am floating on a sea of sadness. I have lost someone who means the world to me.

Not long ago, I blogged about my dear friend Melissa Fisher. I am sorry to say that Melissa passed away November 17 after a two year battle with cancer. Honestly, I felt like my heart was ripped out of my chest. Her passing was not sudden; two months prior to her death, her medical team told her there was nothing more that they could do. Hospice was set up, and she was fortunate enough to be able to go home, to be with her amazing husband Ed, her best friend Colleen, and her fur babies, Stewie and Lilly. This was what she wanted. It didn't make it any easier for the people that loved her, but it was HER choice. And through these last months, Melissa showed the grace and beautiful spirit that was her trademark.

My friendship with Melissa did not span decades. But cancer, that nasty, insidious disease, bonded us together. As I've said before, it's hard to deal with friendships when the other person is battling a life threatening disease. There is always that chance of losing them. And as a cancer survivor, it butts right up against my own mortality. It could have been me.

Melissa touched so many lives. Her story has impacted us all, made us wanted to be better because she was so good. Despite all the pain and struggle, she is now at peace. She is there in the stars above us, smiling that incredible smile, guiding us as we navigate this new stage of our lives. Her teal wings are beautiful.

Melissa, I will carry your love with me always.

No comments:

Post a Comment