Friday, November 21, 2014

Shining Strength & Hope

Sam: true beauty
In October, a friend told me about a couple, Samantha and Jeremiah, who live relatively close to me who were fighting the horrible battle of cervical cancer. She suggested that I get in touch, since they were in need of support. Knowing how lonely it was for me to go through my cervical cancer journey without having someone physically there who understood what I was going through, I reached out to Jeremiah. At the time, I had no idea how life changing this would be for me.

In November 2013, Sam was diagnosed with stage 4a cervical cancer. This was a devastating diagnosis. She and Jeremiah immediately left the west coast where they had been living to come back east, where Sam's family is. In the past year, Sam has gone through 26 rounds of external radiation, 6 rounds of internal radiation, and 6 rounds of chemo on the west coast. After completing those treatments, she had a PET scan, which determined the cancer had spread, and she would have 6 to 12 months to live without treatment. Since moving east, she has had 4 rounds of chemo here because of other complications that required immediate attention and put off treatment for the cancer itself. She has endured multiple hospital stays, lasting anywhere from a few hours to multiple weeks. Jeremiah has stayed by her side throughout it all. He is her sole caretaker, the most beautiful example of what a husband should be.
Jeremiah & Sam



In October, Sam spent 25 days in the hospital because of severe pain. The doctors worked primarily to determine the cause of the pain, which meant no cancer treatment while this was going on. Ultimately it was determined that she had developed a fistula, a hole between the vagina and the rectum. Sam had surgery to clean things up in her pelvis as much as possible, and to put in an ostomy. Since then, she has had another operation to improve the ostomy, and begun chemo again. Sam is still suffering pain, she weighs 84 lbs, and she has fears - who wouldn't? But the thing is, she hasn't given up. She is strong and feisty and brave.
Sam & me

I was incredibly lucky to be welcomed to their home for a visit not too long ago. It was so weird to meet them in person for the first time, as I felt like I had known them forever. It was time spent hanging out with old friends, and it was wonderful.

Jeremiah and Sam have taught me so much: unconditional love; strength in the face of adversity; hope; faith; perseverance. They are completely devoted to each other, and are completely devoted to beating this horrific disease. I am blessed and grateful to have such wonderful people in my life. I am honored to be a part of theirs.

Sam and Jeremiah share their story openly, in the hopes that no one else should have to go through the things they continue to go through. This is a scary tale for sure, but there is hope here as well. They are doing everything they can to beat this disease. They are NOT giving up.

For more information on Sam's journey, please visit Save the Hoo Hoos.


No comments:

Post a Comment