Sunday, March 6, 2016

Q & A With Danielle Sepulveres


Danielle Sepulveres





Today My Life After Cervical Cancer (MLACC) is chatting with Danielle Sepulveres (DS), advocate, author, and all around bad-ass chick.

MLACC:        What made you want to write Losing It: The Semi-Scandalous Story of An Ex-Virgin?

DS:                It wasn’t even so much that I wanted to write it, I felt I had to. I was so lost at that time in my life. I didn’t understand or know how to adequately cope with all the emotions I was feeling or feel comfortable really turning to someone to talk to about it. I think I believed that if I could put everything that was hurting me down on these pages then maybe someone would read it and say “hey you’re not the only one.” Writing the book was my therapy.

MLACC:        Have you received a lot of feedback from young women with similar stories?

DS:               I have! So much encouraging feedback from women who have questions, who have similar stories, who are just looking to connect with someone who they feel understands what they experienced.

MLCC::         In Losing It, you work at a job you hate. What made you jump into writing full time?

DS:               Well, I was laid off from a job at a company that didn’t value its employees or care about protecting women from harassment, so the loss of money and insurance aside, it was a huge blessing. I was basically forced to sink or swim and freelance life was what I turned to out of necessity but writing has been an inherent part of my life since I was old enough to pick up a pencil.

MLACC:        As an awesome writer, you have a great advocacy for women’s health. How much of your writing is devoted to that?

DS:                I would say at least half. I have long struggled with trying to break into mainstream media with some meaningful coverage for the health issues I experienced and this year is truly the first time that has happened and it’s due to women (and men) everywhere not giving up on trying to be heard on all aspects of women’s healthcare.

MLACC:        Tell us about the Disney Princesses Go To The Gynecologist and how it went viral.

DS:                Oh my God, this was probably one of the most exciting things that’s ever happened from an idea I had. For months I had entertained the idea but without any artistic talent was worried about how I bring it to fruition. Enter Maritza Lugo, talented illustrator who cares about women’s healthcare as much as I do and we really made the perfect team. She’s brilliant and thought of details that hadn’t occurred to me and it was one of the best collaborations I’ve ever been a part of. We posted it hoping it would get some notice on Tumblr and some shares, we were not expecting nearly every news outlet to jump on it. Or for it to go international. We are still buzzing.

MLACC:        Are you currently in a relationship? If so, how concerned are you about HPV or other STIs?

DS:                I actually tend to keep my private life private even though most people think I’m constantly writing about my love life. I write about things that have happened in the past. But I have never dated anyone since “Matt Ryan” who I haven’t had a discussion about STIs with and it’s been really great educating guys who really had no idea exactly what it is or how this affects people. I’m not concerned and part of that is because I make a point to always go for my well woman visit.

MLACC:         Did you receive any sort of backlash or reaction from “Matt” after Losing It came out?

DS:                I've never heard any response from him at all, we shared no mutual friends and social media wasn't at this level when we dated. Too bad because I might have found out much quicker about all his infidelities! 

MLACC:        What is your number one message to women AND men regarding HPV and cervical cancer prevention?

DS:               Make your annual appointments and don’t be embarrassed! Find a doctor you like and trust, ask questions. Be educated and informed. Don’t overlook your health.  For the men who don’t understand what this is all about, ask questions and LISTEN. Be supportive. You’re part of this aim to eradicate a cancer.



Thank you to Danielle for answering our questions here today! If you have further questions, leave them in the comments section of the blog. And don’t forget to purchase a copy of Losing It: The Semi-Scandalous Story of An Ex-Virgin!
 xoxoxo Jennie

No comments:

Post a Comment