Friday, January 15, 2016

Dealing with Friends and Familys Reactions



In a perfect world, your friends and family would react with compassion and love when you receive your diagnosis. But that isn’t always the case. In my experience, my family was completely supportive, and surrounded me with love and support. However, I’ve heard stories about families reacting in completely the opposite way. A friend shared that her mother didn’t want her to tell anyone about her diagnosis, because cervical cancer was the “bad girls cancer.” Just at the time when you need your family the most, they can sometimes turn their backs on you.
For me, the most difficult thing was the reaction of some very close friends; ones who I assumed would absolutely be there to support me. I was sorely disappointed. I had one friend who made plans to come by while I was recuperating from surgery, and then just never showed up. I had friends who stopped calling and wouldn’t take my calls. I was hurt, and I was angry.
The silver lining was that I received a tremendous outpouring of support from people who I would never have expected to reach out. I received so many offers of help from where I least expected it. It was a true blessing.
I carried a lot of hurt and resentment for a while about being blown off by those I thought would be there for me. But I came to realize that their emotional distance wasn’t about me. Several reached out to me later on, and explained that they pulled back because of their own issues. Some had family members who had succumbed to cancer. Some where frightened by the thought of their own mortality. And I forgave them. Cancer is a very difficult issue for anyone to deal with.
If you feel loved ones pulling away when you are diagnosed, cut them a break. Chances are they are just frightened – at the thought of losing you, at the thought of their own mortality, at memories of loved ones they’ve lost. Nothing about cancer is easy, for anyone.
xoxo Jennie

No comments:

Post a Comment