Saturday, January 9, 2016

Someone You Love: The HPV Epidemic


At Cervivor School in September 2015, I had the honor of watching the documentary Someone You Love: The HPV Epidemic. It follows five women who were diagnosed with HPV that lead to cervical cancer. The film is raw, it holds nothing back. 5 beautiful, strong, amazing women: Tamika Felder, Christine Blaze, Kelly Pozzoli, Susie Carrillo, and Kristen Forbes. Kelly and Kristen unfortunately lost their battle against cervical cancer, and are now in a better place with no more pain. They have earned their teal angel wings.
I highly recommend this movie to anyone whose life has been effected by cervical cancer. it is 100% reality of what it is like living with cervical cancer, both as a survivor, and as someone who fought with everything they had.
I’m not going to lie, it is a very difficult movie to watch. I had to leave the room on more than one occasion, because Kelly’s story reminded my too much of my dear friend Melissa. Even as a survivor myself, it struck a chord in my that cancer always looms in the back of my mind. I could have just as easily been In Kristen or Kelly’s place.
If you are in the DC metro area, I am screening this movie on January 23. If you are, please leave a note in the comments sections.

xoxo Jennie

No comments:

Post a Comment