Saturday, January 16, 2016

There is Nothing to Be Ashamed About


When I was first diagnosed with cervical cancer, I didn’t want to tell anyone. I was ashamed. I didn’t want to tell anyone because the female reproductive system is kind of a taboo subject, and also because cervical cancer is a little wrapped up in sex. Almost all cases of cervical cancer are caused by HPV, a sexually transmitted infection. Cervical cancer has been referred to as “the bad girl’s cancer.” It’s not fair, but it’s the way it is.
I finally outed myself because I needed support. And, to my surprise, I heard from a lot of women about their own experiences with HPV & precancer. I realized that all it takes is one person to speak up, and that is enough to break the shame cycle.

When I started this blog, I wanted to put it all out there. I wanted women to feel like they were not alone, that they didn’t have to hide in the shadows and shoulder this burden on their own. Cancer is hard enough to deal with, without even taking into account having a type of cancer that would make other people judge you.
I have talked a lot about things that might make people uncomfortable. And I will continue to do so until it becomes normalized, and other women aren’t afraid to speak up about their experiences.
I want you to know that you are not alone, and that you have nothing to be ashamed of. No matter what our sexual history looks like, none of us asked for this disease, and none of us deserve it. Please speak out and let your voices be heard.
Someone once told me that gynecologic cancer is where breast cancer was twenty years ago – a kind of don’t ask, don’t tell. But we need to tell. We need to share our stories. We need to move forward and normalize this disease.
If you need support and empowerment, there is an organization dedicated to women with HPV, pre-cancer, cervical cancer, and survivors called Cervivor. This was a godsend to me. It helped me focus on what I can do to help other women dealing with cervical cancer, as well as work out my own issues surrounding my disease. Check it out at cervivor.org.

xoxo Jennie

No comments:

Post a Comment