Friday, January 1, 2016

Welcome to CCAM 2016!


Welcome to Cervical Cancer Awareness Month 2016! For those of you who are new here, my name is Jennie, and I’m a cervical cancer survivor. I was diagnosed in April 2014 with stage 1b1 adenocarcinoma, after getting the runaround from what seemed like every doctor in the tri-state area (which is unfortunately all too common). I had a radical hysterectomy in June of 2014, keeping my ovaries to prevent early onset menopause, and have been considered No Evidence of Disease (NED) ever since. I started this blog as a way of coming to terms with my life post-diagnosis and treatment, and as time has gone on, it has become a platform for me to advocate for cervical cancer and HPV awareness.

When I was first diagnosed, I was hesitant to tell anyone that I had cervical cancer. I was ashamed. But eventually I opened up because I needed support. I knew practically nothing about HPV, cervical cancer, even really about the mechanics of my own reproductive system. And I came to find out that I was not the only one – many women that I have met along my journey were just as in the dark as I was. So I set out to learn as much as I could (and I’m still learning), and to share that information with as many people as possible. By sharing my story, I’m able to touch real women’s lives, and encourage them to make sure they are following their well woman check up schedule – that’s the best way to make sure your cervix stays as healthy as possible.

I have a lot planned for this month, and I hope you will stick around for all thirty-one days! There will be stories from my personal journey, fabulous guest bloggers, and a contest with prizes! My goal is to reach out to as many people as possible, and prevent as many women as possible from having to battle this horrible disease. It is entirely that we will live to see the day that cervical cancer is eradicated – but it is up to all of us to help make that happen.

xoxo Jennie

No comments:

Post a Comment